Strikes by workers of various sectors in different cities across Iran have taken place, simultaneous with the nationwide uprising in support of the people of Khuzestan province.
The deprived workers of the Haft Tappeh Sugarcane Company continued their strike in the city of Shush in the oil-rich province of Khuzestan, southwest Iran. The main demands raised by the protesting workers are:
- Immediate payment of their delayed paychecks and extension of their insurance booklets
- Their colleagues who have been expelled from their jobs be returned to work immediately
- All company officials involved in corruption be expelled from their posts
- Immediately returning all the embezzled money from the company to the workers
- General, fast, and free Covid-19 vaccination
Nurses and staff of Khomeini Hospital in the city of Karaj in western Tehran, held a protest rally on Monday, July 26, demanding their delayed paychecks. They chanted:
- "Down with the dictator"
- "If one embezzlement is reduced, our problems will be solved"
- "We are fed up with the corruption"
In the city of Izeh, Khuzestan province, workers of the water and sewage company continued their strike following the officials’ refusal to pay their delayed paychecks.
Mass strikes by oil sector workers, which began on June 19, entered their 7th week. The strikes, which are affecting one of the vital sectors of Iran’s economy, have been expanding in the past days, with a growing number of workers from different companies joining the movement every day. Since the beginning of the strike, the movement has expanded to 35 cities like Tehran, Arak, Assaluyeh, Ahwaz, Isfahan, Abadan, Mahshahr, Jask, etc, and several thousand workers have joined. Workers from more than 114 refineries and powerplant have joined the strike.